Is it possible to eat lard if the patient has a history of type 2 diabetes? There is an active debate among medical specialists about the answer to this question. Undoubtedly, lard is a very revered product for the vast majority of people, but is it useful?
Undoubtedly, lard contains a lot of nutrients, but in some diseases it can be eaten in limited quantities, or completely excluded from the diet.
Medicine does not stand still, it is constantly developing, new and progressive methods of treating various diseases are being developed. However, drug therapy alone will not be enough to cope with a disease such as diabetes. It is necessary to adjust your lifestyle and follow a certain health-improving diet.
Therefore, it is necessary to answer the most important question: is fat in diabetes mellitus a benefit or harm to the body? To understand this aspect, you need to find out the composition of the fat and the sugar content in it, consider in which situations you can eat the product, and in which it is strictly prohibited.
The composition of the product
If a patient has type 2 diabetes mellitus, it is mandatory for him to compose a diet in such a way that the food is as balanced as possible, while low in calories.
This recommendation is based on the fact that many patients with diabetes mellitus have concomitant diseases. For example, overweight, metabolic disorders, lipid metabolism disorders.
It is worth noting that fresh or salted lard consists of fats. There are 85 grams of fat per 100 grams of nutritious food. With type 2 diabetes, patients are not prohibited from eating fat, because sugar, not fat, has a negative effect on the human body.
Nevertheless, before eating lard for this disease, it is necessary to tell some information about the product:
- There is very little sugar in lard: there are only 4 grams of sugar per one hundred grams of the product.
- Few people can immediately eat a pound or more fat, so the amount of sugar that gets into the blood will be very small.
- If, against the background of diabetes mellitus, metabolism or lipid metabolism is impaired, then fat can significantly worsen the patient’s condition.
- Penetrating into the human body, animal fats provoke the growth of harmful cholesterol, increase hemoglobin.
Based on the points presented, we can say that it is not forbidden to eat fat categorically, but you will have to limit its consumption.
In type 1 diabetes, patients are advised to limit the intake of animal fats, so this product should be excluded from the diet. Undoubtedly, doctors admit the possibility that if you really want to, you can eat a small piece, but without bread and other pastries.
Recommendations for the use of lard
Patients with type 2 diabetes can eat salted lard, but only in small portions. The basic rule is that you cannot eat with flour products, drink alcoholic beverages, in particular, vodka.
The fact is that this compound causes an instant increase in the level of glucose in a person’s blood, which leads to negative symptoms, as a result, the risk of developing serious complications increases.
If there is lard along with a light salad or low-fat chicken broth, then such a combination will not only not harm the patient, but will also be quite favorable for his condition.
At the same time, the ideal combination is a small piece of the product plus a lot of fresh herbs (parsley, dill, cilantro), since with such a dish the body is saturated, a person gets energy, while the sugar level remains at the same level.
It is worth noting that the optimal use of fat is not harm, but even a certain benefit for the human body in diabetes mellitus. The benefits are as follows:
- Sugar, which is contained in fat, rather slowly penetrates into the circulatory system, because the product is poorly digestible.
- If, after consuming lard, immediately engage in physical activity, then sugar penetrates the blood faster and is absorbed as quickly as possible without negatively affecting the human condition.
It is worth noting that despite some of the benefits of lard in diabetes mellitus, you cannot eat salted lard, which contains many different spices. Diabetics are completely forbidden to eat spices, as they can provoke a sharp jump in glucose in a person’s blood.
Proper preparation of lard
The best option for using lard for type 2 diabetes is a fresh product, without any processing. If the patient does not adhere to this rule, then the use of the product should be recorded in the calculation of calories, as well as in the consumption of the amount of sugar.
As doctors say, you can eat fat, but do not forget about physical activity. It is she who helps to reduce the likelihood of gaining excess weight, while the metabolic processes in the human body will accelerate.
Many patients are interested in whether it is possible to eat boiled or fried bacon? It can be said with maximum confidence that such processing for the product appears to be strictly prohibited.
The fact is that during such heat treatment, the degree of fat content of the product increases, the amount of cholesterol in it increases. In addition, the sugar level in it increases significantly.
Regardless of the type of diabetes, it is recommended to eat fresh or baked product. Through such heat treatment, the fat content of the dish is reduced, but the nutrients remain in the same amount. Basic rules for preparing the product:
- When baking lard, you must adhere to the recipe, add a minimum amount of salt.
- It is recommended to avoid spices.
- Observe the temperature regime of processing.
It should be noted that the more fat is baked, the more natural fats are released from it. The product is prepared in this way:
- For baking, take a small piece of bacon (about 350 grams).
- Cooking time is 60 minutes with vegetables.
- From vegetables, give preference to zucchini, carrots, bell peppers or eggplants.
- Sour apples can be substituted for vegetables.
- Before cooking, the product is slightly salted, left for literally 5 minutes for salting.
- Since you cannot use spices, you can use garlic, which will add aroma and unique taste to the dish. Garlic can be eaten with diabetes, regardless of its type.
Patients recommend using cinnamon instead of spices, it has a positive effect on the body, while significantly improving the taste of the finished dish.
After the bacon has cooked in the oven, it must be placed in the refrigerator for a couple of hours . Then take it out, and put it back in the oven, heat it up to an acceptable state.
In any case, doctors do not prohibit eating lard for diabetes, regardless of its type. The main thing to remember is that everything should be in moderation, so you should not overuse a healthy, but too fatty product.