Milk for diabetes
Upon learning about the diagnosis of diabetes, many panic, because this disease implies a number of restrictions on food and lifestyle changes. And, of course, the patient is primarily interested in what foods are now banned and what they can eat. Depending on the type of disease, the attending physician develops a diet, gives recommendations on nutrition. Lovers of dairy products ask themselves: is it possible to drink milk with diabetes, how much and how much.
Benefits of milk for diabetes
The main thing that patients with diabetes should pay attention to when buying milk is its fat content. As a rule, dairy products with a minimum percentage of fat bring health benefits to the patient by strengthening muscle tissue, as well as relieve heartburn, help improve heart function, improve sleep, increase concentration, and tidy up the nervous system. In addition, milk contains a large amount of vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin B 1 , found in milk, improves the functioning of the nervous system, tidies up sleep, and eliminates anxiety.
- Calcium helps to strengthen bones and nails.
- Vitamin C activates the protective functions of the body. Not recommended in case of individual intolerance.
- B vitamins – drinking half a glass of milk a day satisfies the daily requirement for these vitamins, as well as vitamins C, A, D, E, K.
- Trace elements : silver, fluorine, copper, selenium, manganese, bromine, silicon.
What can you eat with milk?
- Coffee with milk, provided that the milk is soy.
- It is better not to drink tea with milk, preference should be given to drinks separately.
- Buckwheat porridge . Buckwheat with milk is recommended when using milk with a low percentage of fat.
The harm of milk in diabetes
As you know, everything is good in moderation. This also applies to milk consumption. Drinking more than 1 glass a day of your favorite drink can trigger an increase in blood sugar levels. If the patient complains of nausea, upset stools or uncomfortable abdominal sensations, they should reduce their intake of dairy products or avoid them altogether.
What is the correct way to consume milk for diabetes? Milk norms
As mentioned above, milk in diabetes mellitus should be consumed with a degree of caution, trying not to exceed the norms recommended by the doctor. The usefulness of dairy products is undeniable only when it comes to consuming a small glass of yogurt, cottage cheese or milk once a day. Yoghurt should be consumed natural, as products with fruit additives contain excess sugar, which is dangerous for diabetics. Nutritionists do not recommend drinking fresh milk due to its high carbohydrate content. Milk norms are set by the attending physician or nutritionist. The amount depends on the severity of the disease and the characteristics of the patient’s body. As a rule, this rate is about half a liter of product per day. The same norms are suitable for curdled milk, yogurt and kefir.
Cow’s milk is approved by nutritionists due to its good combination of fats, proteins and carbohydrates, rich in magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and vitamins. Such milk with a low percentage of fat will bring benefits. In addition, it normalizes stool, lowers sugar levels and reduces symptoms of gastric ulcer.
Some patients ask themselves, can you drink powdered milk instead of cow’s milk? In this case, everything is individual and consultation with a nutritionist is required, because after processing the milk loses its beneficial properties.
Goat milk contains a large amount of protein, a complex of amino acids, enzymes and vitamins. With regular use, metabolism accelerates, cholesterol levels decrease, and immunity is strengthened. However, one should take into account the increased fat content of the product and decide whether or not goat milk can be drunk. In children, it can provoke constipation, so doctors recommend diluting it with water before use.
Oat milk speeds up metabolism, cleanses the body, and helps to reduce weight. In addition, it contains B vitamins and normalizes blood sugar levels. Making oat milk is easy: boil cow’s milk, sort and rinse oats, dry. Then add grains, reduce heat and simmer for two hours under a lid. After that, strain the product and squeeze the oats. You can add a small amount of sugar to the resulting drink.
Healthy dairy products
Do not forget about other healthy dairy products:
- Kefir and fermented baked milk . Kefir simply needs to be consumed with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. It lowers blood sugar levels, detoxifies the body and helps to reduce weight. Unlike kefir, fermented baked milk is somewhat more caloric, so you should carefully include it in your diet.
- Milk mushroom . It is extremely beneficial for the body. Eating this product daily before meals can help promote weight loss, which is important in type 2 diabetes.
- Serum . Whey is one of the healthiest dairy products. This drink tones up, accelerates metabolism, improves health and mood.
- Sour milk . This dairy product is recommended for people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Sour milk promotes weight loss, improves the functioning of all organs.
Other types of milk
- Camel milk . Numerous studies have confirmed that drinking 500 ml of camel milk per day is beneficial for the prevention and control of the disease.
- Coconut milk . This product is a source of energy, improves performance, reduces blood glucose levels.
- Condensed milk . It is strictly forbidden to eat due to its high sugar content.
- Soybean . Virtually no cholesterol, lowers glucose levels.
- Lactose-free milk . Recommended for those with lactose intolerance.
Milk for gestational diabetes
If the diagnosis is made during pregnancy, dairy products are excluded from the diet. Breastfeeding in such cases is undesirable, as it can provoke a disease in the child. Diabetes mellitus is not a death sentence . Compliance with dietary rules and refusal of sweet unhealthy foods will preserve health It’s important to stay calm and eat your favorite foods in moderation.