Diet therapy for diabetes mellitus (DM) is aimed at reducing and stabilizing the patient’s blood sugar level. Foods allowed for consumption must have a low glycemic index (GI), since they are not harmful to the health of a person with diabetes, regardless of type. A low GI indicates the rate at which sugar in a dish or drink will be absorbed. In the medical nutrition of a diabetic, cereals must be present without fail. But there are many controversial questions about rice, since it itself has a high GI. Endocrinologists often remind patients that cereals differ not only by the type of grain (long-grain, medium-grain, round-grain), but also by the method of its industrial processing (unpolished rice, white polished, steamed) and varieties. It can be white, brown, red, black. Not everyone can be eaten by diabetics, since each type of product has a unique set of substances and the ratio of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, and calories. So what kind of rice can diabetics have with type 2 disease? The question is especially relevant, since this product is loved by many, has a high nutritional value, content of nutrients and an affordable price.
The content of the article
Rice glycemic index
Diabetics with type 2 ailment are allowed to eat food with an index of 49 units. Occasionally, it is allowed to take products with an index of 50-69 units, but not more than 100 g per day, 2 times a week. The glycemic index of rice depends on how it is cooked and changes in the consistency of the ingredient. Porridge, a popular cooking method, will have lower units, depending on the thickness. The thicker, the higher the GI. Indices of some varieties of rice:
- Red: 50 units;
- White brushed: 65-85 units;
- Steamed: 60 units
- Brown (not devoid of its husk during processing): 50 units;
- Brown (not polished): 45-50 units;
- Black: 45-50 pcs.
White parboiled and polished rice is excluded from the diabetic’s diet. The way it is prepared does not affect the GI. Any kind of rice, except white, should be included in the patient’s diet, without carrying a negative impact on the human body.
Groats are not suitable for people:
- With chronic constipation;
- Suffering from hemorrhoids;
- With individual intolerance to the product.
The specific taste of alternative rice varieties may not suit everyone. But the benefits of the product for the diabetic’s body are invaluable. This is especially true for wild and brown (brown rice).
The benefits of brown rice
Brown rice is most often used as a substitute for polished white. The taste is almost identical, and diabetics can use the product not only with type 2 diabetes, but also type 1 diabetes. Cooking time is 50 minutes for full boil and tender consistency. Content:
- Vitamins of groups B, PP, E;
- Natural dietary fibers that slow down the absorption of glucose by the tissues of the stomach;
- Easily digestible proteins.
This rice in type 2 diabetes mellitus is useful due to the preservation of the natural shell of the grain. Before being packed into packages, the grains are not cleaned, preserving the whole complex of useful substances. Vitamins, amino acids, minerals and plant proteins saturate the body, enhance human immunity, and have a cosmetic effect on the skin condition. A positive effect on the heart muscle is characterized by the removal of harmful cholesterol from the vessels.
Vitamins of group B enter the body along with rice. The component relieves the vulnerable nervous system of a diabetic from metabolic disorders.
The benefits of wild (black) rice
The seeds of the moisture-loving grass Zizania aquatica, growing in North America, is commonly called wild rice, which, in fact, has no direct relation to traditional rice. Wild rice is required for consumption not only for diabetics, but also for healthy people who want to normalize the digestive tract, cleanse it of toxins, speed up metabolism to maintain a figure and tone. The aspect of using a product is the way it is prepared. Prepare 5 cans with a volume of 0.5 liters in order to pack the blanks in the future. Sign or number each vessel so as not to get confused. Fill each container with clean water from the filter, and add 70 g of rice to 1 can. After 4 days, fill in the next one, and so on, until all 5 are filled. On the 5th day, wash the rice soaked in 1 jar. We take out a saucepan and fill it with water, based on a ratio of 1 to 3. Cook for 50 minutes until fully cooked without adding salt, sugar and vegetable oil. Such food is consumed fresh. Within a week, we need to cook grain from the leftover cans, thus providing a nutritious diet. There are several ways to eat wild rice for type 2 diabetes:
- For breakfast without salt and oil;
- As a separate dish for lunch.
Black rice is the leader in nutritional value among cereals. Composition:
- B vitamins;
- Folic acid;
- A large number of amino acids, proteins;
The soaking process is necessary to get rid of harmful substances from the workpiece. The course of taking the product should not exceed 5 days in order to avoid digestive problems.
The basic rule for cooking rice is to preserve the natural nutrients of the product. It is recommended to soak the ingredient in warm water for 3 hours before cooking (with the exception of wild rice). Debris will float to the surface of the water, harmful substances will dissolve, and the grain itself will become more pliable for cooking, speeding up your work further. Popular recipes:
- Pour 200 g of washed brown rice into a saucepan with water, put on moderate heat and cook for 50 minutes. 3-5 minutes before the end of cooking, a sugar substitute is added to the container to taste. Additionally, a green hard apple is cut into uniform 2 cm cubes. The fruit is pre-peeled. Rice is laid out on a plate, mixed with apples, cinnamon powder is added on top . Put the dish in the refrigerator for half an hour, eat it chilled;
- Rinse 300 g of red rice with cold running water, place in a multicooker container, after pouring a little olive oil, and stir. Cut 500 g of chicken breast fillet without skin and fat into small cubes, add to the rice and stir again. Seasonings and salt are acceptable in small quantities. Peel 1 head of garlic, cut into slices, put on top. This pilaf is cooked for 1.5 hours;
- Soup lovers will appreciate the following recipe. Rinse with 50 g cereals and 250 g cauliflower. Peel the onion, chop finely, send to the pan and fry without oil along with the cereal. Transfer the mixture to a pot of boiling water and add the chopped cabbage after 20 minutes. Cook for another 15 minutes. After that, you can supplement the dish with a spoonful of low-fat sour cream, fresh herbs. Half a teaspoon of vegetable or butter is allowed to taste. You need to salt a little, but it is better to completely abandon salting. A light meal for hot summer months.
Well-cooked rice is good for type 2 diabetes. He is able to diversify the diet of a person following a strict diet, having a positive effect on the body. Demands moderate consumption with weekly breaks.
Therapeutic nutrition for type 2 diabetes mellitus is the main measure to combat overweight and complications of the heart muscle. Combine nutrition with moderate physical activity to maintain body tone, shape, and strengthen the muscular and bone skeleton. Diabetes is not a sentence, but a way of life, as they say in patient circles. It is not necessary to completely limit yourself from delicious food, it is enough to learn how to cook it correctly!