Glycated hemoglobin is an indicator that is determined through a biochemical blood test, and it characterizes the glycemic level, that is, the content of sugar in the blood plasma over the past three months.
In order for the doctor to be able to present an absolutely complete clinical picture of the disease in diabetes mellitus, the patient must pass this analysis. Such a study is also recommended in cases where there is only a suspicion of the presence of a disease.
It is believed that a blood sugar test in this way provides more informative data when compared with conventional tests for glucose concentration, or with a tolerance test.
A blood test for glycated hemoglobin helps to identify the disease at the initial stages, which allows timely and prompt initiation of appropriate therapy, which will definitely give positive results and improve the patient’s quality of life.
Knowing what glycated sugar is, you need to figure out how to take such an analysis, how much should it be normal? And also find out what to do if sugar is high, or has a tendency to constantly rise?
How do I prepare for the analysis?
They pass such an analysis four times in 12 months. It is this time period that helps to assess the level of sugar in a person’s blood, and its dynamics. Usually, the best time to donate blood is in the morning, and it is best to donate on an empty stomach.
It is worth noting that if the patient has a history of blood transfusion, or has recently experienced heavy bleeding, the results of the study may be distorted. As a result, the patient needs a certain period of time to recover the body, in particular, three months after surgery or blood loss.
Doctors recommend that their patients always be tested for glycated sugar in the same laboratory. The fact is that each laboratory has a certain gap in indicators, which, although insignificant, can significantly affect the final results.
High sugar does not always lead to a deterioration in well-being, sometimes the picture can be asymptomatic, therefore it is recommended for all people who monitor their health, at least sometimes to take such an analysis.
The advantages of such a study in diabetes mellitus:
- It is carried out at any time period, including after a meal, although the results on an empty stomach will be more accurate.
- It is believed that it is this method that helps to obtain complete information, which in turn makes it possible to recognize the initial stage of the disease and take appropriate measures.
- The analysis does not require significant preparatory measures, blood sampling is carried out as soon as possible.
- Due to this method, it is possible to say with 100% certainty whether a patient has diabetes or not.
- The patient’s emotional and physical condition does not affect the accuracy of the study parameters.
- Before the study, you do not need to give up taking medication.
As all of the above shows, it is this method that has the speed of obtaining results and their maximum accuracy, while no special preparation is required, and many factors affecting the blood sugar level are excluded.
What indicators are considered the norm?
It won’t take long to decipher the research results. Nevertheless , based on the fact that the technology for determining the concentration of glucose in human blood is different, it is required to carry out the analysis a couple of times.
It is worth saying that with the same glucose values in two people, a difference in indicators within one percent is not excluded.
In a number of situations, the study can show false results, since fetal hemoglobin can be increased or decreased, and the error will be approximately one percent.
Based on numerous scientific studies, it is possible to identify the reasons that directly or indirectly affect glycated hemoglobin:
- The age group of the patient.
- The patient’s body weight.
- Human constitution.
Undoubtedly, there are other reasons that may influence the results. Therefore, despite the fact that the analysis allows you to obtain accurate results regardless of the emotional and physical state of a person, it is still recommended to take the analysis on an empty stomach and exclude physical activity.
The rate of glycated blood sugar:
- Less than 5.8% – this result indicates that the carbohydrate metabolism in the patient’s body is normal, and the likelihood of developing the disease is reduced to zero.
- Indicators in the range of 5.8% to 6% indicate that the sugar is elevated, and it is recommended to follow a healthy diet to bring it back to normal.
- Values from 6.1% to 6.5% claim that the likelihood of developing the disease is very high, therefore, in order to improve their performance, the patient’s lifestyle is adjusted, a strict diet with high sugar is recommended , and optimal physical activity.
- If the indicator is 6.6% or higher, the presence of diabetes mellitus is assumed. And to confirm the preliminary diagnosis, several studies are prescribed by other methods.
Based on all of the above information, we can say that the lower the percentage of indicators, the less likely it is to develop diabetes.
High glycated blood sugar
If the tests showed that the glycated sugar level in the blood of women or men is increased , then its increase does not mean at all that this is a diagnosis of diabetes mellitus.
Sugar can be elevated because the level of glucose tolerance is impaired, or even there was a violation of blood sugar levels in the morning. The disease is diagnosed only in those situations when the indicators exceed the normal limits, and nothing else.
It is worth remembering for every diabetic that it must be taken at least four times in 12 months. It is these intervals that will help determine the dynamics of sugar, as well as find out the effectiveness of a health-improving diet or drug correction.
Important facts about glycated sugar in children:
- For a long period of time, raising is a serious health hazard to the child.
- When these analyzes exceed 10%, then a sharp decrease in indicators is strictly prohibited. Since sudden changes can result from a violation of the functionality of the visual apparatus, or a complete loss of vision.
- In children, glycated sugar is needed and can be reduced by only one percent in 12 months.
Some patients deliberately do not take a blood test, as they are afraid of getting high test results. Meanwhile, it is worth remembering that such fear is a direct way to aggravate the situation, and the inability to correctly correct the concentration of glucose in a person’s blood.
During pregnancy, such a study appears to be an equally significant and essential method of checking the state of health. If its results show low values, then this can lead to a delay in the intrauterine development of the baby.
To maintain the norm of glycated sugar indicators , it is required to take all measures to compensate for the disease, adhere to all the recommendations of the attending physician, and control your blood sugar.